A child must be enrolled by the child’s parent, guardian, or other person with legal control under a court order. The student must be identified by his or her legal surname as it appears on the student’s birth certificate.
The following documents are required and need to be provided to enroll:
• Parent/Legal guardian’s government issued photo ID
• Proof of Residency in the form of a current (within the last 30 days) electric, gas, water bill or lease agreement.
• Student’s social security card – social security numbers are used for purposes of the Public Education Information System
• Student’s shot record
• Student’s birth certificate
• If Pre-kindergarten, proof of parent/legal guardian income (households must submit documents that show current income, meaning income received by the household during the month prior to verification ) Acceptable documentation for self-employment income is last year’s tax return
• If the student has been previously enrolled in school, withdrawal papers from the previous school must be provided If the parent or guardian is unable to provide proof of his residency because the family is living with someone else who is the actual JISD resident, the JISD resident must complete an Affidavit for Proof of Residency stating that the student and family live in the JISD resident’s home. In that case, the Proof of Residency must be provided by the JISD resident and the resident must also have a government issued photo id.
The Affidavit for Proof of Residency must be:
• Signed by the JISD resident in the presence of school officials and notarized for verification of signature by a JISD notary public.
Prekindergarten Requirements :
A child of appropriate age (must be 4 years old on or before September 1 of the school year to be enrolled) is eligible for a prekindergarten program if the child is:
• Unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
• Educationally disadvantaged;
• The child of an active duty member of the armed forces, including state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty;
• The child of a member of the armed forces, including state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty, or
• Is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
Kindergarten Registration Child:
must be 5 years old on or before September 1 of the school year to be enrolled.
First Grade Registration:
In order to attend first grade in JISD, a child must be six years old on or before September 1 or have been previously enrolled in the first grade of a public school in another state or have completed public school kindergarten in another state.